Having recently heard of the Agavi project from a web framework showdown at a PHP conference in the UK I have decided to trial it. My setup is a WinXP computer with a default install of the latest XAMPP which has thrown up some issues with installing and building Agavi. Please see my hints below to overcome these issues.
- Open a command prompt (type cmd in the run console)
- Navigate to your XAMMP PHP directory. Mine is C:\xampp-test\php
- Execute pear.bat channel-discover pear.agavi.org
- Execute pear.bat install agavi/agavi
Agavi is now installed! Now we just need a new default project to work from.
Agavi needs to be told where the phing batch file is stored.
- Edit the agavi.bat file in the XAMPP php directory. Mine is
- Change set PHING_COMMAND=phing to contain the full absolute path to phing.bat which is in the XAMPP php folder. Mine looks like this:
Begin setting up your project directory.
- Create a new directory in your XAMPP directory. Mine is
- Create an empty text file called build.properties in the directory (this banishes a build error where phing fails if it cannot find the file)
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the new directory
- Execute agavi.bat project The agavi.bat file is stored in the XAMPP php folder. My command looked like this:
- Follow the prompts the installer gives you (hitting enter will supply the installer with the [default] value)
Agavi should now be setup for your project. View it in your browser to verify.